HOW TO: Save Organic Herbs
Clean eating is NOT synonymous with boring, unflavorful food. In fact, its just the opposite. One of my favorite ways to liven up ANY recipe with bold, fresh, fragrant flavors is to add fresh organic herbs during the cooking process and as a garnish.
Fresh organic herbs are plentiful at the markets from spring into early fall but can be harder to find in the late fall and winter. And since conventionally grown herbs can be heavily sprayed, if you’re purchasing fresh herbs in a food store you want to make sure you go organic to reduce your exposure to pesticides.
Does this sound like you? You get your hands on a big beautiful bushel of fresh organic herbs that you need for one recipe, use it and then the rest of the bunch ends up going to waste before you can use it? Fret not, I’ve got tips for you!
I love to add fresh herbs to salads, sauces (my delicious basil pesto), stews, stir fry, smoothies and more. So next time you get yourself delicious, fresh, organic herbs do’t let them go to waste! Employ this tip for fresh herbs all winter. Save time, money and those gorgeous organic herbs in just a few minutes of prep. I love this easy step-by-step tip:
1. Wash and pat dry
2. Remove stems and discard
3. Pulse the herb leaves in a food processor with 1/2 cup – 1/4 water OR extra virgin olive oil (both work well, I used water here)
4. Pour into ice cube trays and freeze overnight
5. Once frozen, pop out and store in freezer safe container.
When you’re ready to use, just pop a few HERB CUBES into sauces, stews, smoothies, stir fry or however you would normally cook with the freshies. The flavor is insane, stays fresh and is a budget-friendly no waste trick. You’ll thank me for it! Report back and tag your cube pics with #createyourgreatlife Happy Cube-ing!
- Fresh Organic Herbs (Basil, Oregano, Sage, Parsley - all work well)
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup Water or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1.Wash herbs and pat dry
- 2. Separate leaves and stems(discarding stems)
- 3. Pulse in a food processor with water OR extra virgin olive oil
- 4. Pour into ice cube trays and freeze (overnight)
- 5. Once frozen, pop out and store in freezer safe container for up to 3 months
- When you're ready to use, just pop a few HERB CUBES into sauces, stews, smoothies, stir fry or however you would normally cook with the fresh guys. The flavor is insane, stays fresh and is a budget-friendly no waste trick. You'll thank me for it! Report back and tag your cube pics with #createyourgreatlife Happy Cube-ing!