My Top 10 Newborn Essentials
It’s been a while since I’ve posted. Well…I’ve been in what I call the NEWBORN VORTEX! That delicious baby bubble that consists of long days, longer nights, mom brain and navigating the first few months with a brand new HUMAN. 🙂
Time truly ticks away differently when you have a newborn and I have been meaning to get this post up for SO LONG and I just haven’t gotten around to it. I feel terrible for going RADIO SILENT these last few months since little Miss Emerson Ava was born and I am excited to share what life has been like since her arrival and keep you all in the know.
Here are some of the posts I have planned:
- Emmy’s Birth Story
- My Most Loved Baby Gear List
- Lessons in New Mommyhood and Postpartum Feelings
- Recipes for Energy, Breastfeeding and Emotional Well Being
- How I fit in Self-Care as a New Mom and Why It’s Extra Important
Those are just a few of the posts I have in the works but tell me…what do you want to see on the blog? Tweet me @DeeLynn, comment on an Instagram @DeeLynn78 post (watch my story for daily pics of my CUTIE PIE) or comment below.
Like most new moms it has taken me A WHILE to get on my feet and find my stride in this new role and life. I had a difficult delivery (more on that later) and have been taking off any pressure to jump back into things. First and foremost I am enjoying every precious moment, snuggle, milestone and I’m grateful to have a beautiful, healthy child.
Since I’ve never done this new mom thing before, I did A LOT of research in those last few weeks of my pregnancy. Today I thought I would jump back into posts with my NEWBORN ESSENTIALS and what “stuff” really helped us adjust in those very early days. These are a few of the items that we absolutely loved or used endlessly in those first weeks home or things that I was really glad I did or documented early on.
Here are my Top 10 NEWBORN ESSENTIALS
- Water Wipes and Organic Cotton Washcloths – Newborn skin is sooo delicate and we loved to using a lightly dampened cloth to clean baby’s diaper. In those early days that is all you need. Eventually we graduated to Water Wipes which I loved because they were 99.9% water with a hint of grapefruit seed extract which is perfect to keep things nice and clean “down there” which helps avoid diaper rash.
- Newborn Sized Clothes and Diapers – Typically newborn size is up to 7 lbs and many babies leave the hospital within a wide range of that size. A lot of people I knew had babies leave the hospital over 7 lbs and their children were never in newborn size, so with that in mind I had mostly 0-3 sized clothing on hand. However, little Miss Emerson Ava left the hospital 6 lbs 9 oz and was in newborn sized clothing for a few weeks so I was glad to have some on hand
- Baby Connect App – As a probably neurotic first-time mom I wanted to document EVERYTHING in those early days…every diaper change, nursing session and even sleep. It really helped me get to know Emmy’s preferences and natural patterns in those early days when I was too sleep deprived to remember anything. I found this app super easy to use. I especially loved the nursing and sleep timers because it allowed me to see when the last activity took place. Now I know not everyone will need to be that meticulous but it worked really well for us early on.
- Bassinet (or somewhere for baby to sleep) – We co-slept from Day 1 which means we had Emmy in our room from the start. Since I was nursing, and it felt right for Karl and I, we had Emmy right next to my side of the bed (sometimes IN the bed, although we didn’t bed share until she was a little older). I loved the UPPAbaby Bassinet with the UPPAbaby Bassinet Stand because it was a portable bassinet and we could move in around the house with us during the day and next to me within arms reach at night. Sleep is one of those controversial parenting topics and you HAVE to do whatever works for you, your babe and your family. Emmy got great overnight sleep in the bassinet from the start and we used it until she transitioned to her crib.
- Muslin Swaddles – Is there anything better than a cozy, swaddled newborn? Emmy LOVED to be swaddled to bed right from the start and these swaddles were a go-to. After she outgrown the sleep swaddle we continue to use muslin swaddles for EVERYTHING. I always have 2 – 3 on me at all times…in my diaper bag, in the car, in every room in the house. They’re great as a park blanket or to clean up a quick mess.
- Milestone Documenters: My bestie made us personalized milestone cards (SIMILAR HERE) to take pictures of Emerson week to week and it was so fun to see how much she changed so early on. On DAY 5, we also took hand and foot imprints using THESE FRAMES that are in her nursery and also made a hand and foot stamp for her BABY BOOK.
- Baby Sleep Gowns – You guys…newborns are SOOO tiny and delicate. It really made me nervous to change her clothes at first (new mom confession!). I love these sleep gowns for middle of the night diaper changes that were minimally disruptive. To this day I am in LOVE with the Burt’s Bees Baby Organic Cotton pajamas for Ems now that she’s graduated from the gowns.
- My Brest Friend Nursing Pillow – For a nursing mama this was a go-to of mine for getting my nursing flow on . I love how supportive this pillow is and it made it comfortable to nurse around the clock! Eventually I weaned myself off the pillow but in those early days at home this was something I used a ton.
- BOPPY Lounger – I loved having a snuggly place to put Emmy in those early days. Karl and I would make an Emmy centerpiece at the table while we ate dinner and stare at her. I love how easy this was to move around the house.
- TinyBeans App – We have family all over the country and in those first few weeks it was a bit overwhelming to keep up with social media. We also did not want to spam everyone with tons of baby pictures online, but wanted a way to document and share pictures with our loved ones frequently. Instead of texting or emailing pictures everyday we turned to this online photo journal. Its SO easy to use and you can upload one or multiple pictures, milestones or videos each day and your loved ones can follow along by invite-only. Almost 5 months later and we still update our calendar daily for friends and family to enjoy.
While I’m sure there were many more items we were using and LOVING these were some of my go-tos in those first few weeks home with Emmy girl. What about you?? What were some of your newborn essentials?
Next up more BABY GEAR we love in detail. Stay tuned!