My Favorite Clean Diapering Products
None of the product links below are sponsored or paid ads. Just products I truly use and love.
Hi Mom Friends!
I’d really love this blog to evolve with me into motherhood, so today I thought I would share all of my “clean diapering” favorites. These are tried and tested products that we absolutely LOVE.
As a first time mom, I remember navigating the aisles or Target, BuyBuy Baby and Whole Foods in complete confusion as to why there were so many darn products to choose from. At my local CVS alone there are probably 10 different diaper brands. All of this had my head spinning!
When it came to nurturing my baby I wanted to make sure she had safe, effective and chemical-free products for anything that touched her skin, especially her delicate areas.
It wasn’t until Emerson arrived that I actually started to understand what it all meant and quickly found products that were right for our family. Keep in mind that I only have experience with my little girl and moms of boys might have a different experience. What’s nice is that for baby #2, we’ve got this all sorted out already!
Since there are endless options out there I thought I’d give you my quick run down of the products that we use on a daily basis and why we love them. Hope this helps you navigate the sea of choices!
When we first came home from the hospital, Ems was in Pampers newborn diapers because that’s what they had at the hospital. I have to admit, the little wetness indicator was super helpful in the beginning because we quickly learned that she did not want to sit in a diaper for more than a few minutes. I had a ton of different diapers on hand… Bamboo, Earth’s Best and Honest were among my stock. In hindsight, I should have just chosen one and stuck to it because Ems has sensitive skin and the switching/trying wasn’t great. We quickly found our two favorite brands and we’ve never looked back!
- Seventh Generation Free & Clear - We love these cozy, chlorine-free, unbleached diapers and they are certainly our favorite. Of the “clean” diaper variety, we order ours in bulk from Target and they come out to about 36cents each.
- The Honest Company Diapers - Depending on what’s in stock or my mood, we’ll pick up these chlorine-free and no harsh chemicals added diaper favorite. I love Honest in the summer because they’re designs are so darn cute and sometimes baby just wants to hang in their diaper. We order these from Target as well and they come out to about 44cents each (Ems wears size 4 now). I have heard great things about their diaper bundle but have not tried it! Have you?
- The Honest Company Overnight Diapers - At around 5 months old, we started to incorporate these night diapers and we have never looked back. Ems was always a solid sleeper and these just ensured that she did not wake due to a full diaper. These diapers are SO absorbent, one will last the whole night and she is always comfortable in them. Plus, for something she is in for (a lot of times) 12 hours straight, I like that the ingredients are super clean.
Coming home from the hospital we used wet washcloths with water for diapering and soon switched the Water Wipes. At around two months old, we incorporated a still-gentle yet more textured wipe and we’ve been hooked on the combination of the two ever since.
- WaterWipes Sensitive Baby Wipes - 99.9% Water with a drop of grapefruit extract these wipes are sooooo gentle. They were perfect for newborn skin and later on became a favorite hand/face wipe because of how soft and gentle they are. The drop of fruit extract is naturally antimicrobial and helps clean hands and face.
- Seventh Generation Free & Clear Wipes – These gentle and textured wipes get the job done well into toddlerhood. We love that they are made for sensitive skin yet super effective. They are free of alcohol, fragrances and parabans so you will not be transferring any chemicals to baby’s delicate skin.
Coming home from the hospital we learned that you want to keep the diaper area as dry as possible (may seem obvious to you but we were SO NEW to this!). So, we would clean Emmy’s bottom, let it air dry a minute and then put the diaper on… no creams or powder. This method ensured minimal diaper rash AND helped the products below be more effective when we actually used them. TIP 1: If your baby has a rash, stick to one product for a few days to allow it to work. TIP 2: Let baby go diaper free for some part of the day to “air out” the area.
- Spectrum Essentials Organic Coconut Oil - Coconut oil naturally clears mild yeast infections due to the properties in the coconut oil.
- California Baby Calming Diaper Rash Cream – When Emmy is teething hard she gets a bad diaper rash and we love the clean ingredients in California Baby products. This product is a holy grail for us!
- Weleda White Mallow Diaper Cream – We were gifted this item and I love it. Very gentle and similar to the product above.
- The Honest Company Organic Talc-Free Powder – Occasionally baby will develop a “wet rash” that will be better suited for a powder to dry it up. The talc-free powder by Honest is perfect for that. I also use this for wiping off sand when we are at the beach
- Alba Botanica Un-Petroleum, Multi-Purpose Jelly - I loooooove this product so much. It is a great alternative to vasoline or Aquafor. If either of those products are in your rotation, this UnJelly is a petroleum-free option that works perfectly. I end up using this on Emmy’s hands, chin and cheeks in the dry New York winters to keep her sensitive skin moisturized.
A few more not necessary but much LOVED products:
Munchkin Arm & Hammer Diaper Bag Dispenser & Bags – These bags are not necessary but they soon became a staple in my car and diaper bag. You just never know where you’ll be when a BIG stinky diaper strikes…ahem, the car! These odor-absorbing bags are great for blocking that stinky diaper smell until you can get to a trash.
Babyganics Fragrance-Free Alcohol-Free Foaming Hand Sanitizer + Wipes - If you’re like me you never know when or where you’ll be when a diaper strikes. I’ve changed diapers in the backseat of the car (while parked), at the park and on a bench so having these hand sanitizing wipes are an awesome diaper-bag staple!
Remember to engage your baby during diaper activities, tell them what you’re about to do, invite them to join the process, make it a special time for you and your baby to connect. <3