My Love of Essential Oils and Current Favorite DIY Recipes
Let me start off by saying I am not a representative for an essential oils company. I am just a gal who LOVES essentials oils, natural products and holistic remedies for unwanted ailments.
I used to suffer from bad anxiety while traveling so it was recommended to me that I try essential oils. Well, enter my “gateway drug” to essentials oils was this lavender oil to help with stress relief and anxiety that I picked at Whole Foods (and now buy from Vitacost at half the price). I really loved the natural calming effect the aroma had without any of the side effects of anxiety medicine – which I absolutely loathed taking.
Since then, I’ve dabbled into the world of essential oils year over year and have added new “staples” to my holistic arsenal. Now, I can’t imagine NOT having these gems in my “wellness toolbox.” So I thought I would share a few of the oils I have been loving, what I use them for, a few storage tips and some recipes that I played around with this past week and have got me REALLY excited!
Essential Oils I have been LOVING and why:
- Lemon – Energy, Digestion, Cleansing, Detox, Immune Booster
- Eucalyptus – Releives sore muscles, opens sinuses, breaks up congestion, Antiseptic
- Grapefruit – Mood Booster, Boosts Immune System
- Tea Tree – Natural antiseptic, Antibacterial, Antimicrobial, Great for breakouts
- Lavender – Calming, Restoring, Alleviates Stress, Relaxation
- Peppermint – Alleviates head aches, body aches, nassua, anxiety
- Sweet Orange – Anti-inflammatory, Aids with colds and congestion, Natural Antidepressant, Boosts Immunity
- Rosemary – Concentration, Hair Care, Digestion, Antimicrobial, Stress Relie
- Have a favorite essential oil?? Tweet it to me @DeeLynn
A few tips I’ve picked up along the way:
- Using Carrier Oils are oils that help dilute the essential oils so they are safe for the hair and skin. My favorites are organic coconut oil and sweet almond oil but you could also use jojoba oil, olive oil and avocado oil!
- Store homemade skin and hair care products in dark glass jars like blue and amber colored jars that you can purchase at Whole Foods, a craft store or on Amazon
- When creating at home products, always mix in glass bowls as not to disrupt the oils
- Have a tip?? Tweet it to me @DeeLynn
A few of my favorite uses for essential oils:
- Added to my diffuser to help with headaches, stress relieve, relaxation, nausea, concentration
- Added to an Epsom salt bath
- To make DIY home care and skin care products like the recipes below (still learning here and taking suggestions, tips and recipes!)
- Used with a carrier oil (such as coconut oil, jojoba oil or almond oil) and applied directly to the temples, lower belly, bottoms of feet and as a massage oil
- Inhaled on a tissue in flight to alleviate stress, discomfort and anxiety
- A few drops on my pillow at home or while traveling to help with relaxation
- Natural pet odor spray (recipe coming soon!)
- Know of a use that I should try?? Tweet it to me @DeeLynn
Now onto the FUN stuff! This pas weekend I played around with a few new recipes and I just love the results! All three of these recipes would make a great hostess gift or housewarming present. You can decorate them with cute ribbon and home made labels to add an extra special touch. I just used what I had laying around!
Let me know what you think of these recipes and if you have any tips to share!
Citrus Bathroom Spray
(inspired by Today's Creative Blog)
- 1 TBSP Rubbing Alcohol
- 1 TSP 100% Witch Hazel
- 20 drops each essentials oils: lemon, sweet orange and grapefruit
- 2 oz distilled water
Mix together and funnel into an amber glass jar. Before you use shake well then spray into the bowl. I’ve also seen these cute directions: “spray the bowl before you go and no one will ever know” – LOL!!
Lavender Hand Sanitizer Spray
- 1.5 TBSP 100% Witch Hazel
- 1 TBSP of Vitamin E Oil (Pure Aloe Vera works too)
- 2 oz distilled water
- 30 drops 100% Tea Tree Oil
- 30 drops Lavender essential oil (or oil flavor of your choice…eucalyptus works well!)
Mix together and funnel into an amber glass jar. Before you use shake well.
Yoga Mat Cleansing and Disinfecting Spray
- 2 oz distilled water
- 1 TBSP Witch Hazel
- 1 TSP Tea Tree Oil
- 20 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 20 Drops Lavender Essential Oil
Mix together and funnel into an amber glass jar. Before you use shake well. I like to spray and either wipe down with a lightly moist cloth or lay outside to dry.