My Essentials for the Perfect Beach Day
I absolutely LIVE for a good beach day. Maybe its because I grew up less than 1 mile from the beach.
As a kid, long beach days and ice pops punctuated the summer. In the fall and winter, we’d bring dinner down to the water and soak up the sunsets ritualistically. Even though we lived near the beach, we would always vacation down on Paradise Island, Bahamas, a beach that now feels like a home away from home (below). In college, I also lived near the beach in Rhode Island. Whenever I felt lost or confused (which was a lot in college, yah know?), I’d make my way down to the beach and listen to the waves and just sit. Looking out on the horizon is where I’ve thought through some of the toughest times in my life and ignited some of my most exciting and zealous ideas.
All year long the beach plays a central role in my every day life.
Spending time at the beach is truly meditative for me. The way the sand gives when you walk on it. The way every single wave is different in sound, movement, length. It provides solace from the otherwise hustle and bustle of city-living. Can you relate?
Needless to say, the beach is a place that feels like home. It’s a place I know I can always return to and it seems to give me something different but perfect every time I’m there.
Not to mention, its place that brings me the most joy and best memories. There is nothing more fun to me than spending a day at the beach in good company with not a care in the world, no watch, no schedule but the one the sun is on.
Today I thought I’d share some of my beach day essentials. Since I’ve learned over the years that if I’m prepared with just a few of the essentials I can last at the beach all day worry-free. Being prepared helps to alleviate the intensity of my natural anxiety.
Since I’m at the beach so much in the summer, I keep our trunk packed with our beach chairs, umbrella and I even keep my beach bag stocked with the essentials you see below so that I’m ready for the spontaneous beach days that make summer so memorable.
This is in no way a comprehensive list or even items that you absolutely need. These are just essential items that help me have the perfect and most enjoyable beach day possible. I hope it inspires you!
DLE’s beach day essentials…
- Healthy Snacks: my favorites are cut up fruit and veggies, raw nuts and whole foods bars like GoMacro Organic Bars and Larabar.
- Waterproof sunscreen: we all know the famous commencement address which stressed the most important piece of life advice “wear sunscreen” and I totally agree. Keep your skin healthy and radiant by slathering on some waterproof SPF especially in areas you wouldn’t think you need it like your ears, fingers and toes (places people often forget to apply).
- Moisturizing lip treatment with SPF: my lips always seem to get a lot of sun at the beach and chap easily. I love the super silky and nourishing FRESH Sugar Lip Treatment with SPF 15.
- Tanning Spray with SPF: there is nothing better than getting that fresh tan to accessorize with in the summer. I love a tanning mist with SPF to spray on my arms and legs to attract the sun while also protecting from harmful UV rays.
- Tons of water: this one from Water Bobble is probably the most essential item on my list. Hydrating at the beach is super important since the sun and salt water are really dehydrating. I pack 3 – 4 water bottles with me and stick them in a small cooler so that I can stay hydrated all day. If I don’t have enough water to drink, I can’t enjoy the beach.
- Moroccan Oil: exposure to sun can be very damaging to your hair so when I’m at the beach I always slather on a ton of argon oil, especially to the ends of my hair that tend to fry easily. The Organix Renewing Moroccan Argan Oil Penetrating Oil is super thick and will naturally protect your hair from damaging sun rays, it also acts as a deep conditioner. I love this one!
- Refreshing wipes: I love these moisturizing and cleansing body wipes from Ban. With all the sunscreen, sand, salt water and oil you can feel pretty gross by the end of the day or when you pit stop for lunch. I love these wipes for a super quick refresh.
A few more of my favorites that make the day extra awesome…
- A good pair of polarized sunglasses to protect your eyes: I am currently crushing on these Carrera and Ray-Ban sunnies.
- A sand-and-water proof iPhone and iPad case that double as a wallet. I’ll put anything that I want sand free in these cute Echo Designs Clearly Cool Beach Cases.
- A Bluetooth speaker because music just makes everything better.
- A hat for when you just a little shade on your face. I love a good over-sized hat or trucker hat.
- An over-sized beach towel in your favorite print or pattern, cause its just fun.
- A large and durable beach bag that you don’t mind getting beached up. I love this L L Bean Boat Tote because you can easily toss it in the wash!
That’s it for my beach day essentials. I hope you enjoyed and found some inspiration! If there is anything that you bring to the beach that I forgot leave a comment below!